Benefits Rep - OH, PA, W VA or NJ
FLSA Status: Exempt
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About The Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
This role is critical to the success of the Total Rewards-Benefits team and will be responsible for the design, development, implementation and ongoing administration of assigned health & welfare benefit plans. This person will support internal and external customer inquiries and develop strong vendor partnerships to ensure plans are providing optimal value with respect to the terms, conditions, and service expectations benefiting the company and plan participants.
The position reports to the Supervisor, Benefits & HR Service Center and can be located at any FE location within the service territory.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participates in the development, implementation and administration of employee and retiree benefit programs.
- Conducts research and analysis related to health and welfare benefit plans and develops sound recommendations.
- Educates HR team members, employees and retirees on benefit plans, policies and procedures.
- Advises on eligibility, coverage, claim procedures, and other benefits matters and resolves escalated benefits-related items.
- Functions as a liaison to benefit vendor partners, ensuring excellent service delivery.
- Participates on the annual open enrollment project and other benefits and/or HR projects.
- Provides support to the HR Service Center team to respond to employee and retiree inquiries.
- Assumes key job responsibilities and provides backup support to other team members, as needed.
- Ensures compliance with benefit-related laws, including employer responsibilities and reporting requirements associated with various benefit programs.
- Maintains company plan documents associated with various benefit programs, including Summary Plan Descriptions (SPD’s), policies, practices and forms.
- Regularly monitors Affordable Care Act (ACA) status, resolves any mismatches and inquiries timely.
- Monitors plan enrollment and audits records to ensure accuracy of benefits and vendor data.
- Works closely with IT and HRIS regarding data file transmission to/from vendors, monitoring, researching and resolving data integrity issues timely.
- Participates in audit inquiries/requests, responding timely to meet tight deadlines.
- Analyzes benefits data and responds to reporting requests using SAP and external vendor partner systems.
- Seeks ways to improve processes and create efficiencies.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or related discipline and minimum of 4-7 years relevant work experience required. In lieu of Bachelor’s degree (preferred), minimum 7 years relevant work experience required. Relevant work experience will include intermediate analytical skills to collect and analyze data, identify issues and solve problems and customer service mindset.
- Understand the connections between the various functional areas within HR.
- Work with HR representatives and business leaders to identify issues / concerns and develop appropriate steps for resolution.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment on moderately complex projects and assignments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint.)
- Proficient in SAP, including ad hoc reporting and data analytics.
- Maintain confidentiality of personal information, data, documents and discussions.
- Develop relationships with a broad range of individuals (both internally and externally).
- Ability to effectively organize, manage and prioritize multiple work assignments/projects and deliver desired results.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing work priorities/tasks, including learning new skills and assuming work associated with a broad range of HR and benefit-related programs.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to provide results working as part of a team and as an individual.
- Ability to interface with all levels of management.